This is democratic selection by citizens of a state those who will represent them in positions of government.
FEATURES OF A GOOD ELECTORAL SYSTEM
1) Regular elections
2) Adoption of universal adult suffrage
3) Adopting secret voting system
4) Unbiased and independent electoral body
5) As safe and free voting atmosphere
6) Secure ballot boxes
TYPES OF ELECTORAL SYSTEM
1) Tax payers’ suffrage: Here, only those who show evidence of tax payment are allowed to vote.
2) Male suffrage: Here, only adult males are allowed to vote. Women are not allowed.
3) Property suffrage: Landlords or property owners are allowed to vote.
4) Electoral College: This is where voters select people to represent them in elections.
5) Adult suffrage: Here, only adult men and women are allowed to vote.
This is an organization saddled with the responsibility of conducting free, fair and credible elections in a state.
FUNCTIONS OF ELECTORAL COMMISSION
1) It registers eligible voters
2) It announces election results
3) It conducts election
4) It provides election materials like ballot boxes and result sheets
5) It divides the country into constituents for easy management of elections.
6) It screen and registers political parties.